"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." - Danny Kaye
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Betwixt and Between, But Who Cares? I Won!
I am betwixt and between - I have half-finished drawings and unfinished paintings. I have a new set of paints that I haven't touched yet because, you see, transitions are hard. I'm thinking about trying all kinds of things - new techniques, new colored ink, using pencil with my watercolor sketches, and I'm trying to sort it all out. I am squirming, vaguely dissatisfied, and anxious to try more.
The result is that I have nothing to post.
And then comes Alex and presents me with the Over the Top Award! Thank you, Alex!
It's funny, you know. We develop friendships online. How does that happen? Sometimes I think you get to get past the body and dig straight to the soul and - pop! - there you are.
Cyberspace, ticket to the soul? Hmmmm.
Alex is a wonderful artist - so talented. The latest post on his blog, rainbowbox, is amazing, and his best yet! You have got to see it here!
But I have to work for this award, you see. The rules are: I need to pass this award on to five people, post on their blog to let them know I left this award, and then I need to answer a list of questions in ONE word.
Truth be told, I think Alex is trying to limit me to one word.
Only today, Alex, only today.
So here goes:
1. Where is your cell phone?… Roaming 2. Your hair?… Combing 3. Your mother?… Sunrise 4. Your father?… Twilight 5. Your favorite food?… Burrito 6. Your dream last night?… Hazy 7. Your favorite drink?… Nectar 8. Your dream/goal?… CREATE! 9. What room are you in?… Office 10. Your hobby?… create.. 11. Your fear?… Loss 12. Where do you want to be in 6 years?… Painting 13. Where were you last night?… Abuelo's 14. Something that you aren’t?… Green 15. Muffins?… Puffins. 16. Wish list item?… Lottery 17. Where did you grow up?… Sunshine 18. Last thing you did?… Digest. 19. What are you wearing?… Down. 20. Your TV?… Barren 21. Your Pets?… Mosquitos 22. Friends?… Mosquitos 23. Your life?… Interesting 24. Your mood?… Interested 25. Missing Someone?… Firstborn 26. Vehicle?… Writing 27. Something you're not wearing?… Shoes 28. Your favorite store?… Pearls 29. Your favorite colour?… Blue 30. When was the last time you laughed?… Tonight 31. Last time you cried?… Today 32. Your best friend?… Wife 33. One place that I go to over and over?… Einstein's 34. Facebook?… Occasionally 35. Favorite place to eat?… Q'Doba
It was very difficult to narrow this list to five. And [drumroll please] I present the five awards to:
1. Casey Toussaint of rue Manuel bis - I just love the loose and splashy style of her watercolor and ink sketches.
3. Myrna Wacknov of Creativity Journey - She is the boldest, most experimental artist I have encountered. She will try anything, and succeed!
4. Wil of Carving Paper - He sketches all over his wonderful city (Toronto) and produces wonderful watercolor and ink/pencil sketches.
5. Paul Heaston at three letter word for art - He is a phenomenal talent. I am in awe of his consistently wonderful drawings.
Honorable Mentions - (that means you get nothing..), but only because you were chosen first by someone else!
Oh shoot - I was going to choose Ellen of She's An Artist, She Don't Look Back but Raena beat me to it! Ellen is very talented, creates beautiful art and is a lover of language. Her creative blog bonds art with the music of Bob Dylan. (And I have a feeling that she doesn't realize just how good she is!)
And, of course, I would have chosen Raena too of Raena's Sketch Journal because, well, who wouldn't? But Alex chose her first!
And, dear reader, I would have chosen you too if I could! I am so enormously impressed by all of you EDMer's! Keep drawing!
Swerving along the artistic road with every sight a potential target. * * * If you'd like to contact me about any of the art that you see - about purchases, commissions or just to say hello - feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'd love to hear from you!